Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Farewell Talk

Hello Brothers and sisters! 

I was talking to Bro. Mitchell about what my talk was on for today and the conversation went a little like this. Hey Bro. Mitchell so what is my topic for Sunday. Well the assigned topic is Elaine S. Daltons past General Conference address, “We are Daughters of our Heavenly Father,” oh and since its near pioneer day bring in pioneers to your talk too. Oh and relate it to your mission….. So today I will be speaking on the gospel. All of it.
            As I was pondering on the subject, a very strong connection between the three became apparent to me. They all were examples of foundations of faith.
            I once had a great seminary teacher who shared a personal story with his class. He was telling us about his trip to Jerusalem and how on one of the days the tour guide took the group to the top of a hill that overlooked the city in the valley. And said something along the lines of, “it is important to get as high as you can and as often as you can because it helps you understand what goes on in the valley and how you can better get around.” I love this. It is so very important that we are able to keep an eternal perspective when living our lives on earth. It is easier to follow the faith that we have when we can see it in the big picture. It is also so very important to trust those who continually have that higher view and understanding. It is this faith in God that Sis. Dalton described in her address.

QUOTE: “Every week young women all over the world repeat the Young Women theme. No matter the language, each time I hear these words, “We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him,”1 the Spirit affirms to my soul that they are true. It is not only an affirmation of our identity—who we are—but also an acknowledgment of whose we are. We are daughters of an exalted being!
          “What-e’er thou art, act well thy part.” That simple statement renewed my vision that Heavenly Father knew me and had a plan for my life, and the spirit I felt helped me understand that my part mattered.”

Sister Dalton was teaching us a valuable lesson in how we can build and lean on our foundations of faith. When we understand that we are sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father, we learn that our part to play, or what we think and how we act should reflect this divine knowledge of our supreme heritage.

            One  of the song the primary children are learning pops into my head, “if the savior stood beside me” The first verse goes like this.
 1. If the Savior stood beside me,
would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments,
and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example?
Would I live more righteously
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?

 What a powerful message! Brothers and Sisters, Please remember always that your father who resides in Heaven is a God. That you have been promised if you live your lives righteously you shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths. Having this knowledge sets the base of our foundation and if understood will be an unwavering source of strength.

The Early saint of this church understood their role in this life and acted on the simple faith that they had to do all that they could to stay true to their testimonies.
In the first Presidency message in July’s Ensign, President Thomas S. Monson wrote,

 “For many, the pioneer trek of 1847 didn’t begin at Nauvoo, Kirtland, Far West, or New York but rather in distant England, Scotland, Scandinavia, or Germany.

Between the safety of home and the promise of Zion stood the angry and treacherous waters of the mighty Atlantic. Who can recount the fear that gripped the human heart during those perilous crossings? Prompted by the silent whisperings of the Spirit, sustained by a simple yet abiding faith, those pioneer Saints trusted in God and set sail on their journey.
They finally reached Nauvoo only to set out again to face hardships on the trail. Tombstones of sage and rock marked graves the entire route from Nauvoo to Salt Lake City. Such was the price some pioneers paid. Their bodies are buried in peace, but their names live on evermore.
The passage of time dims our memories and diminishes our appreciation for those who walked the path of pain, leaving behind a tear-marked trail of nameless graves.

It is remarkable to me the integrity [they] demonstrated toward the faith [they did] have and the truth [they] already knew even though most were only recent converts.

I quote again from President Monson, “But what of today’s challenges? Are there no rocky roads to travel, no rugged mountains to climb, no chasms to cross, no trails to blaze, no rivers to ford? Or is there a very present need for that pioneer spirit to guide us away from the dangers that threaten to engulf us and to lead us to a Zion of safety?”

I can testify of the importance of having a foundation of faith. In the past few weeks a lot of thoughts have ran through my head. On one particular day I was struck with fear. Fear of failing to measure up to what lay before me. Was I really ready for this? What if because I choose to lack in my gospel studies I am unable to teach one of my fellow brothers or sisters in the way that they deserve? Why was I even going on a mission? Was it because I had felt an affirmation when I asked or was I just following the mission crazy? I stopped myself. I knelt down and opened my heart to God. I asked him these questions. I asked him to answer these questions that I should have been able to answer myself. As I arose from the ground I was heard Elder Holland’s words “in moments of fear or doubt or troubling times, hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited.” So I began listing all the things I knew. I leaned on my foundation of faith that I have built. I know that I have a Heavenly Father who listens to me, who is always there for me, even when I might not always listen to Him and might not always be there for Him. He is there. I know with surety that I have a Savior. Jesus Christ has stood as advocate for me. He has opened the gates to my forgiveness. I love Him. I treasure Him. I Believe in Him. I know that prayer is real. I know that I have received answers to my questions and concerns. I have, through Prayer received a testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, and of this Church. I know that in October I received a sure answer to my prayer when I asked God what direction to take my life, and He responded to go and lend a hand in proclaiming this truth that I know to others. I know that there is a hope in this gospel. A light that cannot be dimmed by the pessimists of the world.  “ Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, whichhope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.”
I know that I have been prepared for this life by a wonderful wonderful family. With parents so very kind and dear. I love this gospel and feel humbled to have been trusted with the responsibility to take it to the world.

Let us all press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men., feasting upon the word of Christ, and enduring to the end


No comments:

Post a Comment